Any non-sprinklered dwelling unit shall be permitted to have a single exit, provided that one of the following criteria are met:
1. The dwelling unit has an exit door opening directly to the street or yard at ground level.
2. The dwelling unit has direct access to an outside stair and serves a maximum of two units, both of which are located on the same floor.
3. The dwelling unit has direct access to an interior stair that serves only a unit and is separated from all other portions of the building by fire barriers having a minimum 1-hour fire resistance rating, with no opening therein.
4. Travel distance from the anywhere in the unit shall not exceed 23m to the final discharge.
5. Total Floor area is less than 500 sqm.
Any building that is protected throughout by an approved, supervised automatic sprinkler system has four or fewer stories, and has not more than four dwelling units per story shall be permitted to have a single exit, provided that all of the following conditions apply:
1. The stairway is separated from the rest of the building by barriers having not less than a 1-hour fire resistance rating, with self-closing 1-hour fire door assemblies protecting all openings between the stairway enclosure and the building.
2. The stairway does not serve more than one-half storey below the level of exit discharge.
3. All corridors serving as access to exits have a minimum 1-hour fire resistance rating.
4. There is not more than 10.7m of travel distance from the entrance door of any dwelling unit to the exit staircase.
5. One-half hour fire rated horizontal and vertical separation between dwelling units is provided.
6. Travel distance from anywhere from the unit to the unit exit door shall not exceed 23m.
7. Total floor area is less than 500 sqm.